BOOK REVIEW : WHITE RAVEN BOOK ONE J.L. Weil

Review/ turned into rant about sex perception in young adult novels

CATEGORY: YA PARANORMAL ROMANCE
 White Raven Amazon

I finished this book in exactly three days. It was a sassy, full of spunk paranormal romance story. It didn't have anything that stuck out writing wise that pulled me out of the book's story. There were only a few things I would have liked to see differently in the book which I'll explain below. But first off I really liked to see a main character full of such angst and fiery honesty. It's nice to see a girl that will say what's on her mind, but also have insecurities that people can relate to. Overall 4.5 wing review.

This story does contain strong language including the word bitch, and the use of the bird. But, it didn't feel too jarring for me most of the time, it wasn't so much that I was put off from the story.


One thing that caught my mind in this story, and the reason why I didn't give it a full five-wing review was that there were too many shallow instances of man he's sexy, and what I would want him to do to me, and that if it weren't for this I would totally have sex with this character type of scenarios. Not that it is a bad thing for the book, it wasn't done poorly, and there is no actual sexual content in book one other than heavy kissing, but I just wish more stories didn't put so much peer pressure for females to have sex.

As if it's normal/one should feel a certain way when you like someone kind of thing. I wish there was more turmoil between whether she should even want to have sex, or be more of a real moment of, "OMG, we're making out and am I supposed to be doing more?" kind of moments. There are too many romance books out there that make it seem like even at sixteen/seventeen years old you should be having sex, or wanting to have sex. Trust me, when I was sixteen, I wanted to make out, and I wanted to be touched, and have attention, but when it came down to actually doing stuff... I didn't want to, but I kept repeating to myself that I should want to, because I like him. And then came the pressure from the guy about how he cares for me so much and wants to "show" me how much he cares. And all the different sources telling me that it's okay and it's how you show you care, and you should want to share that with a person you care about. I'm all for female empowerment, if you want to have sex then you do you kind of thing. Own it and feel good about it. But, I also think that there should be more popular series out there expressing love and showing scenarios where the character isn't sex crazed, and possibly confusing lust for love. But hey, that's solely a personal opinion.

Either way, I did very much enjoy reading the series and even the debate I had in my mind about how I wished females would have less pressure in the realm of sex, love, and lust. I gave this book a 4.5 wing review and will continue to read the next novel in the series.

(All half-wings round to wing four or five) I obtained this book through Kindle Unlimited.


You can stalk this author online:



Want to be reviewed yourself, please visit my review page to request.
All reviews are my honest opinions.

Comments