Book Review: Shades of Betrayal by Jill Ramsower

I finished this book a few weeks ago, am just now getting to this review. I apologize for the delay, I guess you could say 2018 kicked me in the butt, and I strive to do better in 2019.


I'm going to be doing things a little different this year for reviews to streamline things and make things easier for authors and readers. The new format is this:  Review Tag, Book Quote, Book Blurb, Review Rating, Review, Author.
REVIEW TAG:

"If you're looking for something steamy with a slab of fantastic Fae mischief then you're in for a treat!"

BOOK QUOTE:
"Not every hurt can be forgiven, it's up to us to decide what we hold onto and what can be let go." -- Shades of Betrayal by Jill Ramsower
BOOK BLURB: 

Ashley 

All my wildest fantasies have come true, but reality is never quite as simple as we imagine. I dreamed of living in a wondrous world of the supernatural and having magical powers of my own. Now, I have all of that, but it comes with a caveat—a six foot Fae brute who is supposed to train me on all things Fae. He’s a dauntless warrior of the Wild Hunt. A beautiful bigot. He’s my lover and my burden, my savior and my curse.

There’s a monster lose in the city leaving a trail of bodies in its wake. I want more than anything to help others with my new abilities—what better use of my power than to stop a killer? Too bad Michael doesn’t feel the same.

Michael 

She’s a born fighter. Courageous and brash like the heroes she reads about. Two weeks ago I carried her lifeless body out of a dirty alley. Ever since, my carefully constructed world has been leveled, despite my endless efforts at damage control.

Ashley Moore is a force of nature. Her best friend is the Erlking’s woman, and together, Ashley and Rebecca have infiltrated our brotherhood. Everything about our lives is dangerous, so I’ve done what I can to protect her—even if she ends up hating me for it.

REVIEW RATING:

REVIEW:
If you're looking for something steamy with a slab of fantastic Fae mischief then you're in for a treat!

Jill Ramsower does not disappoint in her stand alone spin off of the best friend's side of story from her previous books. You can read this one by itself, but I have to admit it is much better having known the whole story from the other two books, see those reviews here: Shadow Play and Twilight Siege. ALL of her books are just fantastic reads, however they are an acquired taste due to the content warnings.

That being said, don't get me wrong this book is definitely a 5-wing for some people, and I was on the fence about rating it as a 5 myself, it just didn't give me the same something that her other two books gave, so in comparing her to herself I couldn't give them the same ratings. She can blame her own awesomeness for this conundrum.

The book follows Ashley, the best friend of Becca from the first two books. To be honest I really enjoyed Ashley's character a lot and she definitely needed her own book. She's a great book editor, so much so her job wouldn't let her quit and allowed her to work from home in a different country, jealous much-- yes, I am. And Michael is a brooding anti-hero if I ever did read one, for sure. Honestly, the only reason I didn't give this book a five-wing is because personally I had to put the book down several times because Michael came off like a dick, and not the kind of dick that I was rooting for, in the end he comes around and gets his head out of his ass, but his character is why this book didn't get my unwavering fan flag waving.

And trust me, I AM a total fan of Jill's books, and her writing style. I will eat up her next books when they come out whenever she gives them to me. But, this book was made better by having read the other two books, and standing alone I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it as much, so I had to give it a 4-wing instead of 5. Either way, keep them coming Jill!

WARNINGS:
*** This book contains violence, strong sexual situations/encounters, and multiple partners ***

AUTHOR:
Twitter: JRamsower
Genre: Fantasy, Romance

Jill's a Texan, born and raised. She manages the hectic social calendars for her three active children and occasionally spends an evening with her dashing husband. Aside from being an author and a mom, she's an attorney, travel junkie, and voracious reader.


Thank you for reading! 

Disclaimer, this book was provided to me by the author for an honest review. My opinions are my own and no one else's.

Comments