BOOK REVIEW: ERRANT by Florian Armas

Book Review: MEDIEVAL FANTASY ADVENTURE
 
  Errant by Florian Armas

The Wanderers could see the future: civil war and destruction. They could not change it.
In the remnants of a lost empire, seigneurs and ladies, sages and soldiers, assassins and usurpers come together in a time of sorrow. An enigmatic sect of assassins lurks in the shadow; the Circle of Sages is often wrong; a young prince tries to win back his throne; and an outstanding woman fight for her children. Amid tragedy and betrayal, allies and enemies, the fate of Jara’s family hangs in a precarious balance, as many nobles covet her lands and covet her.

His family dead in an ambush, Codrin, the legitimate heir to the Arenian throne, runs for his life into the wilderness. Trained to fight by a renegade from the Assassins Sect, he has only one friend left in the whole world - his sword.
A chance encounter with Jara and her family, draws Codrin to Severin, a land threatened by Orban, the killer of Jara’s husband. The Circle, a secret order created several hundred years ago to rebuild the lost empire, is helping Orban, and Severin must fall. 

Filled with mystery, intrigue, romance and adventure, Errant is by turns taut medieval fantasy and touching love story. 

Errant is a fantasy adventure story filled with assassins, political intrigue, betrayal, love, and a hard lessons in restraint, humility, and all is fair in love and war.

The beginning was a bit rough for me, just the first few chapters, it was jarring to start off with Jara and not have enough time with her before jumping into Codrin. After a few chapters in I got into the rhythm of it and I got to know each of them well enough that the chapters were well seamed together.

Also warning: Rape in the beginning of the novel, but not overtly graphic, it was stated and events leading up to and events after are there, but it's very obvious what had happened. Also, in the medieval times period that it's set in lends to lots of situations where women are used for their bodies. Despite this warning theme, there are plenty of strong women in the story that balance out this gender inequality nicely.

I got into this fantasy epic saga even though it isn't commonly my go-to type of novel. I was sucked into the pages, and refused to cheat on the book with others until it was finished. I am a serial offender of reading two or three books at a time. Errant had me flipping the pages and staying up late for hours to finish it. And it isn't finished! I got to the end and it was possibly the worst cliffhanger ever, but I'm not terribly upset about it. Okay, a little upset about it. But that's only because I was absorbed into the story and now I MUST know how he makes it to being king, because he just has to make it there! Fangirl aside, I'm hooked. I will totally be waiting with baited breath for the next installment in the series. I clicked "follow" on Florian Armas on Goodreads and you should too!

The only thing I wish she did better was add an "author page" into her book. I have no idea how to get more info from the author. Where is her website so that people can stalk her awesome work? Where is her Twitter handle? The only thing you have is to follow on Goodreads or on Amazon, which I totally encourage. But for her sake, I hope she develops her platform so that people can become her devoted readers, and hopefully have a place where they can see when her next book is coming and her progress on what she is working on now.

I must know! When is book two?



Sign up for the newsletter to get a monthly smattering of the posts on this website, and potential giveaways. Don't forget to put that email in the sidebar pronto!

Comments