EDITOR'S FEEDBACK BOOK REVIEW - Inevitable Ascension V.K. McAllister

EDITOR'S FEEDBACK

INEVITABLE ASCENSION by V.K. McAllister

CATEGORY: DYSTOPIAN TIME TRAVEL SCIENCE FICTION ACTION ADVENTURE

"If you knew your world would soon be torched to carbon, would you fight to save it? …Or light a match of your own?


You can download three three chapters to check it out yourself from their website here http://www.inevitableascension.com/explore-the-story/ or read the whole thing for free from Amazon's Kindle Unlimited.

Blurb: Violina, a girl polarized by love and loathing, finds herself thrown into a post-apocalyptic war with mankind on the brink of extinction. Discovering the means to travel back in time, she teams up with the ever-optimistic, pun-loving Lux and sets out to prevent the apocalypse from ever happening in the first place. But as her crusade advances, she becomes increasingly disturbed by humanity’s apparent lack of humanity and comes to a frightening realization: To build a new world, she must first tear the old one down... read now.

I will preface the editorial review with this book was provided to me generously by the authors, a lovely husband and wife duo! I did not use their provided copy, I read the story through Kindle Unlimited to give them their royalties for my reading enjoyment.

Here is my review blurb for the book:
The characters are witty and snarky displaying a casual back and forth banter that is entertaining and reminiscent of the best character dynamics in comical Japanese anime. Like reading an anime it visually pops off the page and comes across like a high action adventure TV series.

Why this book is in an editor's feedback instead of having a normal review?

I was unable to finish reading this book. This book is best suited for people who enjoy the quirky constant character dynamic the whole way through. Personally, I could not keep reading comic relief, and nonstop banter back and forth between the characters. It was well written banter, great dialogue, but it was too much for my taste. The wife and husband duo did surprisingly come together nicely, it didn't read disjointed or like two people were writing the book. The story was full of action and lots of moving parts.

However, things I would have liked to see happen in the book to make it more readable and enjoyable for me personally is that I don't know a single person in my life that talks like those characters constantly, it started to irk on my nerves, they started off enjoyable and quirky, but quickly became unrelatable and annoying to me.

I don't normally stop reading a book solely on one aspect not being my cup o' tea, so I kept reading trying to find out the whole point to the story so that I could be a little more anchored on the characters goals. The story came off like scenes, instead of plot development, in the first few chapters, which didn't give me a clear picture of where the book was heading. Honestly, I would have preferred they completely cut a lot of the beginning and start where the story starts, a lady wanting to buy the contraband and time traveling to the past. All the other stuff on how they got the contraband was mostly for character development that is more useful for the author themselves to get to know the characters than for the reader to be engaged in the story. All those tidbits in the beginning could have been related to the reader through backstory interspersed with the progression of the plot. The story could have started from stealing the the fluffy monster pets, but then it would still be quite a while into the story before we actually know what the girl's goals are. Earning money isn't a big enough goal for me to care about reading on, because that's more of a scene by scene progression instead of the overarching goal for the whole story.

Think surface goals versus outside goals versus deeper goals.

The last reason I stopped reading was that the story is mostly dialogue. I feel like I only get to know the surface value of the character and what they choose to say. This led to an unbalanced dynamic between showing and telling, it felt like too much telling and not enough show me, and not enough layering. I'm alright with lots of dialogue, it was just too much for my taste. I needed more inner depth to stay connected. The characters both revealed a moment in their life where they were wrongly accused of things and the words were about a powerful emotional depth to the characters backstory, but it was glazed over and fell flat for me. I didn't feel it, and the reactions weren't felt either. On top of that the timing of how it was revealed was also off for me. There was so much more the authors could have done to really make me sympathize with them, but it just turned quickly back to sarcastic banter and at that point I put the book down and didn't have faith that what I was looking for in the book would come to fruition.

These are solely my opinion, I did not finish reading the book due to the above conditions. However, I should preface this book can be exactly what someone else is looking for in a reading escape. It wasn't what I personally look for in my reading adventures, but I hope that you too can check out the book and let me know your thoughts on it. Whether you had a similar revelation or that you found the joy in it that I could not. Please do share. I love reader conversations!

Reader warnings: This is labeled YA and did not come across as a young adult novel for me, this book does have lots of violence, but also lots of action! Fun character banter.

See more about this wife and husband duo here:
V.K. McAllister


Thank you again to the authors for providing me with an opportunity to review their book, and please do not be discouraged by my remarks, as I am but one reader in a sea of many appetites.

Until next time.

~Heaven's Fiction

Comments